Advertising market size (US$): 3.2 billion (1st in Africa)
Launch date: February 2020
Strategic priorities: Racism, toxic masculinities, equal pay, ending gender-based violence (GBV)
Strategic industry events: AdWeek Africa and Loeries Awards
Members: Facebook Africa, Google South Africa, Nando's, Ster-Kinekor, Unilever
Allies: Advertising Regulatory Board, AwareOrg, Marketing Association of South Africa, The Loeries
- Announcement: During the 2019 Loeries Creative Awards for Africa and Middle East, UN Women South Africa announced the creation of the Unstereotype Alliance South Africa Chapter in collaboration with Loeries and the Marketing Association of South Africa. Facebook Africa, Google South Africa and Unilever joined as founding members.
- Unstereotyping Masterclass: UN Women South Africa Multi-Country Office held an Unstereotyping Masterclass at the 2019 Loeries, attended by more than 100 participants.
- Launch: On 11 February 2020 the South Africa National Chapter officially launched in Johannesburg at an event hosted by UN Women South Africa Multi-Country Office and attended by over 50 CMOs and advertising industry leaders.
- Women's Month 2020: During Women's Month (August) 2020 in South Africa, the Unstereotype Alliance South Africa National Chapter collaborated to raise awareness about GBV. Unilever and Facebook partnered with UN Women to raise awareness about domestic violence through social media. Both partners donated space to amplify a campaign working to accumulate 20,000 messages of strength and support for survivors of domestic violence. The Loeries also donated advertising space, mounting digital billboards in the major cities of Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town with GBV messaging. As part of the country's National Strategic Plan, Google South Africa worked with the UN Women's Multi-Country office to develop a dynamic heat map to track the number of reported GBV cases. Google also held a series of digital events about managing family violence in the workplace, microaggressions, an allies discussion with men and a panel on GBV which UN Women's South Africa Multi-Country Office representative, Anne Githuku-Shongwe, participated in along with industry experts.
- Webinar: Kantar South Africa and Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) hosted a webinar with Unilever and UN Women in September 2020 about using advertising as a force for good. The discussion centered on how the industry can work to dismantle race and gender bias. Tune in to the recording here to learn insights from our Unstereotype Alliance South Africa partners.