Recognizing the power of partnerships to accelerate progress, this industry-led initiative convened by UN Women will unite leaders across business, technology and creative industries to tackle the widespread prevalence of stereotypes that are often perpetuated through advertising and content.
The Unstereotype Alliance has been embraced by businesses and organizations who have been champions of addressing gender bias in the industry. The Unstereotype Alliance aims to tackle how the industry can affect positive cultural change by using the power of advertising to help shape perceptions that reflect realistic, non-biased portrayals of women and men.
"Stereotypes reflect deep-rooted ideas of femininity and masculinity. Negative, diminished conceptions of women and girls are one of the greatest barriers for gender equality and we need to tackle and change those images wherever they appear. Advertising is a particularly powerful driver to change perceptions and impact social norms. UN Women is excited to partner with the foremost industry shapers in this Alliance to challenge and advance the ways women are represented in this field." - Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka Executive Director of UN Women
Stereotypes are everywhere, we can’t escape them. It’s that unconscious bias we place on things before we even know it, that is why they can be harmful.As advertisers and creatives, we have the power to influence culture and society in a positive way. Today, we need to ensure creativity, whether in the advertising or content we create, shows people as progressive and modern, authentic and multi-dimensional.
This unstereotyped world is our job to deliver now, not the next generations. And is no longer only a social imperative, but a business one. Starting today, we stand together as one.
CODE OF PRINCIPLES
As Members of the Unstereotype Alliance, to realize our common vision, we commit to create unstereotyped branded content by:
- Depicting people as empowered actors
- Refraining from objectifying people
- Portraying progressive and multi-dimensional personalities not vacuous
We aim to foster an unstereotyped culture, through:
- Driving gender balance in senior leadership and creative roles
- Directly addressing unconscious bias, diversity and inclusion through training as a standard across the industry
- Challenging each other as advertisers and advertising agencies to deliver the best unstereotyped marketing content - and ensuring, as brands, that we only buy the best, most unstereotyped work
- And we pledge to hold ourselves accountable by setting clear goals and measuring change annually, aiming for significant change by 2020